Thursday, 10 March 2016

Pg.1, entry 1.

Karmel Ward, 2010001895.
Blog 1, post 1


The current political issue in early childhood education is ratios. "A ratio is a statement of how two numbers contrast one another (Discovery Education, 2016)." The current ratio requirement is one adult to 10 children, above the age of two years old. And one teacher for every five children under the age of two. These ratios can differ depending on what kind of early childhood setting it is. The minimum adult to child ratios are as seen in the following link: 
http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/2008/0204/latest/DLM1412637.html

I am interested in this topic because quality care can be at fault for how high the ratios actually are. Especially for children under the age of two years old who cannot access an adult to soothe them when feeling upset. I feel the more children present to an adult would only result in toxic stress given to the child. In terms of attachment and communication.


toxic-stress

The Casa Update. (2014).

What I am hoping to discover during this blogging experience is to gain a better understanding as to why the ratios of children per adult are so high.



No comments:

Post a Comment